I love Winter

 I love winter because...

It is an excuse to hibernate

To sit inside and gather myself even further inside - not just a home, but my self-home

The body that feels the cold, that shivers with the wind, 

The eyes that squint at the tickling snowflakes

This body reminds me that I want to be warm.


I find spaces in winter to be alone,

To quiet my inner home, to witness the slowness of snow lightly falling.

I look on the calendar and remember a short while ago the leaves were changing.

I count the days and know spring will come.

Yet in this moment I want to stay - in the stillness, in the cold, 

I want to shroud myself in fluffy layers, to feel the cold cannot win with me.


The warmly lit fire beckons and I am warmed from the outside. 

I reflect on the Maker of Snow, and the Maker of Warmth.

I am glad He lives with me, inside me, 

That my inner home is a trysting place to commune with Another.

My hibernating is not in isolation:

God is here with me.


I love winter's whiteness

The darkest day, when snow blankets the earth, is not so dark

The magical flakes gently fall

Highlighting every tiny branch. 

God shapes the earth, the days, our world.

I see His movements, I welcome the change.

I know change is ahead.

But for now, I will watch the snow - 

And find warmth in the comfort of shelter and quiet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

23 years and half my life

The Craziness of Faith

Radical Hospitality