Even the Darkness is not dark to You



I've Been to the netherworld

Of that emotive abyss

From whence it seems there is no return.


"Return, I must," I said,

After a taste of that horror -

Once scathed,

Twice bathed, in

Darkness that pretends all power.


Impossibility of return,

Forces my gauntlet down:

"I will not drown here,  far from the banks of home."

Determined, I rise.

"You can't have me."

The God I love - He has me.

Even in the abyss.


"With confidence I now draw nigh."

I, though frail, weak, and overcome

Refuse to believe this netherworld is where I belong.


"Give me the wings of faith," I cry,

And I fly, 

With barely a whimper,

Only to find I have no breath,

No tears.

Even grief requires too much.


I fear the light will not shine,

That the darkness will overcome it.

Doubt, drowning, dungeons of sorrow:

To escape is not my path.

Freedom lies in burrowing deeper,

To find the bedrock:

Surety for my soul -

That I am kept, held fast .


Then the building can begin. 

The solid rock bears me up;

Undergirded with a strength not my own,

I implore the Builder to mould this clay,

And command:

"Let there be light."


And gently, I feel the spirit hovering over the tumultuous waters,

And this helpless clay vessel

Receives the breath of life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Met Sam Part 1

A Year Ago Today I nearly lost my son

The Cry of a Mother's Heart