When Your Heart Feels Squeezed

 These are the days I walk around seeing life with new and different eyes. They are eyes bathed in the furnace of suffering, with understanding unobtained before now. 


Those dreaded words landed like a thud: "They discovered cancer." My Mom has been diagnosed with Small Cell Lung Cancer, typically a cancer only seen in smokers or their partners. It feels heavy and dark, and menacing and cruel, and so many other things that words don't seem to describe. 

(Taking Mom to the hospital in Arkansas with my sister)


It is one thing to hear about it. And to feel sad. To think on it. To learn of it. To wonder where this goes - typically nowhere good, except, I suppose, heaven. Heaven is good. I'm okay with the heaven part. It's the process of getting there that somehow unnerves me.


I've had little fear of death in my life. God gives us these years, some more, some less, and we must reckon with the undeniable reality that 100% of people die. The statistic stares us blankly in the face, and we say it's undeniable, and we pretend to reckon with this fact, but in reality, we seem to work very hard to deny it. 'Who says it's undeniable?! Not I! I will live with a total denial of the reality of death!' At least, I think that's what many, if not most of us seem to act like, truth be told.


We have years of living to do things. You know, meander through life, find friends, community, 'live, laugh, love' - all that. And sometimes the things we do aren't so great, like get sucked into mind-numbing distraction and fritter years away with the meaningless. And yet, I believe there's life in that too. God isn't absent from our distractions. From our living in denial of death. I'm sure He's there in it with us, sometimes whispering oh so gently (and other times, oh, so loudly), "It is appointed unto man to die once." (Thank God, it's not twice!) There are many things God tells us. Even in the things we do to avoid hearing...Let me play with my dog! And I see the dog wag his tail, and I'm reminded of the life in this creature. And I think, 'This dog won't live forever.' And I'm sad. And my heart is squeezed. But I don't want to think of that just now.

So I watch a movie. And a character in the movie faces danger. Oh, yeah, there's danger in life. I almost forgot. Let's not think of that just now. And my heart is squeezed.

And then I text a friend. And my friend tells me of her losses. And I listen and am still. I breathe a sigh. I don't want to think about this. Maybe I'll read a book.

And I read a book and I'm challenged to think about the cycles of life. And I think, 'Let me read something less deep, something lighthearted.' And I push out the thoughts of the reality of death. 


Let's have our lives filled with butterflies and sunshine.

Let's just pretend we won't face that final journey to our eternal home. It just seems all too difficult.

It's in these reckonings that I find my heart tight in my chest. Like rubber-bands have been placed round my ribcage. Like if I just stop breathing for a while I can ignore the suffering around me. I witnessed suffering, and I want to run and hide.


But I sit with people in suffering! I'm a loving presence to those in their time of need! I have gifts in this! These are the things I remind myself.

And I realize I have only scratched the surface of knowledge of true suffering. I've felt it in my own flesh, from assaults, from illness, from pains and chronic illness. I've suffered in my mind, in my soul, in my spirit. I've felt this deep sting of suffering, and I can bear up under it, in it and through it. But to witness it in others...this is an entirely different territory. It's where my heart feels the squeeze.


Can I trust in these moments that God is with the sufferer too? It is hard to trust.

I wince in the presence of pain. It's as if I feel it in myself. 

I think it's because it's my mother, I tell myself. And perhaps that is so.


I wish for her peace, for her pain to dissipate, for her suffering to be relieved. I pray for her healing, for her strength, for her hope. 

And as I pray I lift my squeezed heart and say, 'Here God, You've got to take this. It's going to explode. I cannot carry my squeezed heart anymore.'  


I can tell all the recent journeys I've made. Of the increased burden of caregiving, that I didn't sign up for. It lands on us at times. We don't exactly choose our lot in life.

I can tell the miseries, the difficulties. I can walk you through what it's like. But that would never do. There's no way to let you walk in my shoes. God will bring you to your own experience of suffering - yours and others. It is unavoidable. 

Your heart may be squeezed. And you'd think I'd have some special thing to say, 'Here's what to do with that!' And I don't. Because your heart is going to be squeezed and there is no way out. And that's exactly the point. If you could simply make the squeezed-ness go away, you'd figure it out in an instant. It is an insufferable feeling. A heartache. A soul-ache. An 'I can't handle this!' headache.

(My heart felt squeezed as I sat on the plane to head home after getting my Mom to Arkansas for cancer treatment)

Is there a way through? I know the answer: of course there is. I'm not going to sit here and write about relying on the promises of God (it's a good idea, for sure). I'm not going to sit and tell you to start practicing gratitude more (that's a great thing to do, of course). 

I'm just going to say this simply: the time your heart is squeezed is a time of discovery of the richness of the presence of God. It is a soul-deepening time. A time to harvest and draw from the riches you've already mined of treasure in Who God is.

And how that looks is going to be unique to you. 

I know for me, my heart has been squeezed recently, and all I can do is fall helpless into the arms of God and say, 'I need You, here, now, in this moment. I. NEED. YOU.'


And that's really where I'm at right now. Welcome to my world.

Comments

  1. Praying with you all for this journey of faith, hope & love.
    Grateful for the grace available for us each day, whatever it brings.
    Blessings and holy help for all the difficult moments (past, present & future).
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne! Yes, it's a good reminder to me to be grateful for the daily graces and remain grounded in the present. I can't borrow tomorrow's troubles, though I do at times and spin out in anxiety!

      Delete
  2. You have perfectly expressed, as you say having a “squeezed heart”, or I’ve been saying having a broken and overwhelmed heart in tandem!

    Without going into details of my personal story, it’s true that it’s in pressed in days of uncertainty, pain & suffering, as a believer in Christ we discover Gods deep love and faithfulness which becomes nuggets of gold in our treasure chest of Gods deep love, care and understanding for when the next tsunami comes and we can draw from that to gain increased awareness of his presence and confidence when we feel like we can’t bear up under it, his strength & power will for us as we trust HIM.

    I right now am dealing with my own situations and needed to hear your journey/tsunami and be reminded that God’s presence is with me and is working behind the unseen to bring about his perfect will!

    You are not alone! Prayers for you to “bear up” under Gods everlasting arms!

    On a side note about mom; I walked this road this past year loosing both my mom and husband. Death was eminent. When you come to that time and know that and surrender to it, then the focus is on making the sufferer comfortable, being present with them as you can. For mom, she was in a memory care home, Covid restrictions wouldn’t allow visitors but as God would have it, she developed bronchitis which required her to be hospitalized and then the hospital was allowing two visitors. I got to sit with her for two days and at the end of second day all 4 of us sisters were with her as God received her into his eternal presence!

    My husband after long journey of being hospitalized, decision to place in Hospice care in our home…for 3 months i was caregiver with Hospice team training me with them checking in. Comfort was the key focus. Hardest journey and most sweetest both in tandem! God allowed an unexpected kind of love those weeks & months!

    Both very hard-Both very sweet hand offs in the journey of being with someone who is dying.

    For them, pain and suffering is no more and now in Gods eternal presence! Knowing that for them is a comfort, for me there is JOY of knowing i’ll see them again but while here left behind, the VOID and ache of missing them is where I have to draw in closer to my God who promises to be with me just as he was in the process of me sitting with my beloved trying to make them comfortable as possible till God’s angels took them home!

    🙏🏻✝️♥️🙏🏻✝️♥️🙏🏻✝️♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you for sharing some of your journey here. I am blessed to read how you've navigated this time. What a difficult year you've been through! Such great losses! And yet you speak as one comforted, consoled, and confident in the strength that God supplies. Your testimony is a great encouragement to me, and I will come back and read this again a number of times I'm sure. I really appreciate hearing from you and resonate with what you've shared. It is my prayer that I be able to remain present to the ever-present God, and in the daily challenges and experiences of my life - to bring myself, my sorrows, my fears - my everything before Him and wait in expectation for how He will hold me through these circumstances. I know He will. I must rest in that. I must trust He is with me. Even if the view ahead seems murky and bleak.

      It was a blessing to hear from you.
      Thank you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Craziness of Faith

What if I'm not a Victorious Christian?

How I Met Sam Part 1