Dog Reflections

 


Imagine if we had ears like dogs
That can tell the world when we're afraid
At ease 
Safe
Alert, angry, or 
Disinterested. 





And what if we had a tail, 
A signpost to herald 
Moments of shame, 
Delight, 
Joy, 
Or hope? 

If we could read the code -
The ears, the tail, 
The hair standing tall
Or lying flat on the neck -
Would we somehow offer
A warmer welcome, 
A gentler touch, 
An uncritical gaze 
To hold and cushion
The curled-under tail, 
The drooping ears, 
The reluctant glance that says: 
'I've failed! 
I'm afraid! 
You must not like me!'

If we had ears like dogs, 
And a tail, 
Would the words soften its harsh blows? 
Would we find respite from those who would
Kick us to the curb? 
Would the biting voice of disdain
Break just a little, 
Maybe even wither... into silence? 



If you could read my shame on my face, 
And know I cower in fear, 
You might just extend a hand of mercy, 
And walk with me on my journey
To find a settled place
To curl up on a well-loved, worn pillow, 
Bask in the morning sun
And sleep until my
Joy-radar might 
Dance in your presence. 


--





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Met Sam Part 1

A Year Ago Today I nearly lost my son

The Cry of a Mother's Heart