Repentance
For a number of months (maybe years) I've been exploring the theme of repentance - what it is, isn't, how it's been presented and portrayed, and what I may have gotten wrong about what it means to repent. I have more thoughts than what landed in this poem - thoughts on shame, guilt, cleansing, bondage, freedom, agency, and hope. Maybe I'll come back to it and explore and elaborate more. For now, here's a smattering of reflections I gathered in my musings.
Repentance
Do you think you may have lost your way?
I have, so often.
More than you know!
More than even I know.
I think the castle that is me
Is hospitable for a holy indwelling.
And surely that Presence
Makes holy every crevice
He may enter.
Could it be
I might not see,
Or know, what lurks in hidden
Passages of my soul?
Not only a healing balm,
And Comfort's grace,
And Beauty's kindness,
And Wisdom's help,
Do I need.
There is more:
A tender revealing,
Conviction's fire,
The gift can only be given,
If I can receive -
To repent, open my eyes
To see how I've lost my way.
I don't like to think on it.
There's a fine line,
A tightrope to tread -
That thread of grace.
If shame threatens, I tremble
And risk descent
To peril's clutches.
I must keep my footing,
Or rather, find a footing
On level, straight paths,
For I have not leaned on
My own understanding.
That tightrope is truth.
I brave the opening of my eyes
And utter the sinner's prayer,
Audacious, bold:
"I see only dimly my need for You.
I ask to be guided from shame to grace,
From doubt to healing,
From wandering to my settled
Joyful home,
In the heart of Your love."
Such a prayer, I trust,
He delights to answer.
For every promise is 'Yes'
With this One.
He welcomes such a plea -
So, fellow pilgrim,
Will you journey with me,
On this path of mercy,
To the throne of grace?
There is help for us in our time of need.


I love the heart of repentance in this poem and how you make its mystery accessible. Kind of like Jesus, who comes into our messy lives, willing to get messy too while He lifts us up. Also, the poem within a poem is powerful.
ReplyDeleteThanks, sister!
Thank you, Jack! You are such an encouragement to me ☺️
Delete