Murder on the Lawn - Part 2

The man was friendly - shaking - and, to put your mind at ease, yes, there were police all over and I did not think twice about inviting him inside.

The question has been posed to me: Did you really need to go out there?  Why didn't you just let the police do their work?  Why did you get involved?  Do you have a morbid curiosity that draws you into these things?  The answer to these isn't entirely clear to me.  No, I didn't 'need' to go out there.  Was I drawn by curiosity?  Yes, no doubt.  Is it morbid curiosity?  Maybe - I can't be sure.  I didn't exactly mean to get involved - or maybe I did.  I can't examine my own tendencies at this point.  I merely saw activity and wandered out there to be of service.  I didn't take the time to think it through and decide if it was the best thing to do at the time.  I guess these are things I'm not going to know fully, so I'll let the questions remain.

Once inside I could see the man was somewhat in a state of shock - he had driven up to the stop sign, seen the man lying on our lawn and jumped out to administer CPR.  He successfully started him breathing a few times, but then he would stop.  He kept going 'til the paramedics arrived.  He took no regard for himself, or his own comfort, but stepped up to nobly administer the immediate help that was needed.  He is to be applauded for his heroism - whoever he is.  I don't know his name.

We got him to a sink and provided towels and bagged up his bloody clothes.  I offered for him to sit for a while, but he declined.  I kind of went into 'mommy-mode' - 'Can I get you some tea? Coffee? Wine?' 'Take deep breaths.  You're okay.'  That kind of thing.  As long as there is someone to look after, I can manage okay, I guess.

Once back outside I stood and waited for the police to gather our statements.  I won't repeat what I heard; it's a bit too detailed and unnecessary.  I had no statement to give other than 'I didn't see anything.'

It turns out it was a gang-related murder, which is one reason I feel so safe here (we aren't involved in gangs, thankfully).

Click Here for Part 3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Craziness of Faith

23 years and half my life

Radical Hospitality