Yes, Jesus Loves Me

Hannah has been slow to talk.  This is no surprise as all but one of our kids was behind.  But she seems to have perfect pitch.  Before she could say a word we knew what song she was singing.  It was unmistakable.

When we went to the airport when she was about 10 months old, to pick up Grandpa from Hong Kong, she would not settle.  She didn't like staying in her seat.  She squirmed and began to cry.  Her cries escalated.  At some point Grandpa decided to sing her his favourite song.  She quieted immediately.  Every time he stopped she'd start crying again.  So he sang and he sang and he sang.  Somehow that song has bored its way into her memory and we continue to have to sing it to her, over and over.

She now can talk some and has some of the words - which are barely recognizable.  She will sing when she's bored, when she's doing something, when she's sick and weary.  She will sing the same lines over and over.  And she will be singing truth to ears that need to hear - like mine.

When I'm stressed out and overwhelmed, I hear a little voice singing, "Yes, Jesus loves me!  The Bible tells me so!"

When I'm frustrated and annoyed I hear a little two-year-old voice reminding me: "Little ones to Him belong, They are weak but He is strong."

When I'm ready to throw in the towel and wondering why God has put certain things in my life at this moment Hannah will wander through my wonderings with: "Jesus loves me this I know,  For the Bible tells me so."

Last night she had a fever of 102.  She was lethargic and whimpering all day.  I had to hold her most of the time.  She was half asleep and snuggled in bed with us.  Sometimes she would groan.  But then she started to rasp in her weak, frail voice, "Yes, Jesus loves me!  Yes, Jesus love me!  Yes, Jesus loves me!  The Bible tells me so."

Until the last day or two I've just seen it as a cute passing phase - this singing of Jesus Loves Me.

Sometimes my ears are slow to hear, my heart is reticent to understand.  Sometimes I miss the messages of love God is sending me.

It is as if He couldn't shout it any louder:  You are loved!!!  You are weak!  I am strong!  Listen to the voice of your child, who doesn't know, who doesn't understand but who speaks truth!  Listen, and hear.

So, I share this message with you today.  Maybe you don't have  two-year-old wandering through your days declaring this truth.  But in case you miss other reminders, let this be one to you:  Jesus loves you - this I know.




Jesus loves me when I'm good
When I do the things I should,
Jesus loves me when I'm bad,
Though it makes Him very sad.

Jesus take this heart of mine,
Make it pure and wholly Thine,
On the cross You died for me,
I will seek to live for Thee.

I love Jesus, does He know?
Have I ever told Him so?
Jesus likes to hear me say
That I love Him every day.

Jesus loves me this I know -
For the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to Him belong -
They are weak but He is strong.

Jesus loves me He who died -
Heaven's gate to open wide.
He will wash away my sin -
Let this little child come in.

Jesus loves me He will stay
Close beside me all the way.
He's prepared a home for me,
And someday His face I'll see.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Craziness of Faith

23 years and half my life

Radical Hospitality