The OTHER 5 Love Languages

I have often said my love language is "Being Right" and people laugh until they realize I'm not kidding - I am actually serious.  That led me to reflect on the 5 Love Languages and come up with 5 that they seemed to miss.  I consider the 5 Love Languages as kind of a primer - like the primary colours, and my 2nd 5 as the more nuanced, but no less significant love languages.  I won't comment what I think of the book, its author or why I like or dislike the concept.  I only mention it because my 5 kind of tag on to the first 5.

Just an overview:
The 5 Love Languages promotes the idea of learning and speaking both your own and your loved one's love 'language' - the way he or she primarily receives and gives love, in the most intuitive sense.

 The 5 are described as:

1. Words of Affirmation (whether spoken or written)
2. Acts of Service
3. Gifts
4. Quality Time
5. Physical Touch

Once you have those down - in that you understand how to use them to express love and affection - and interpret how others show you love, you can then move on to the 2nd set which I will describe in 5 future blogs.

Here are the OTHER 5 Love Languages:

1. Being Right
2. Food (or 'Special Interest')
3. Sex
4. Financial Security
5. Primacy

Some would say, 'Isn't 'being right' along the lines of 'words of affirmation'?' And I would say - not exactly, though there may be some overlap.  Some would say, 'Isn't a particularly rare kind of gourmet cheese along the lines of 'Gifts'?' And I would say, - not exactly, though there may be some overlap...and on and on.  In the next 5 blogs I'll go through these so you can get a picture of why I think the 5 Love Languages didn't go far enough in covering the great diversity of the human race when it comes to ways we give and receive love.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Craziness of Faith

23 years and half my life

Radical Hospitality