The Sluggard

I have always loved reading poetry.  But not all poetry.  It has to be readable, comprehendable and with words that are more or less in the common usage.  I can enjoy difficult-to-understand poetry when I am up for riddles and challenges.  But it is so pleasant to be able to read it and understand it the first time!

I have always been a bit of a slacker (don't believe me? - ask my Mom!).  I think it is the achilles heel of my character.  I once wondered what the seven deadly sins were - and when I found they included slothfulness I was horrified.  Just glad not to be Catholic on that one.  But being Protestant is worse I suppose - because we consider all sin to be deadly.

I realized my weakness of character even when I was younger - and not knowing exactly how best to improve myself (and in my ignorance that perhaps I could - forgetting it is really a work of God in me, with my willing effort aided by His enabling grace) - I was drawn to anything written on the subject.  Seems there wasn't much written on the subject!  I figured I was alone in my struggle.  Who was out there writing stuff about laziness?  Not many.  More was written about workaholism than sluggishness.  Oh well.  I did, however, discover a poem and promptly committed it to memory.  It made complete sense to me.  And I didn't need a dictionary to understand it.  And it was by my favourite poet: Isaac Watts.  (Guess I couldn't go wrong there, huh?)

Here it is for your enjoyment:


    The Sluggard

      from Divine Songs for Children


      'Tis the voice of the sluggard; I heard him complain,
      "You have wak'd me too soon, I must slumber again."
      As the door on its hinges, so he on his bed,
      Turns his sides and his shoulders and his heavy head.

      "A little more sleep, and a little more slumber;"
      Thus he wastes half his days, and his hours without number,
      And when he gets up, he sits folding his hands,
      Or walks about sauntering, or trifling he stands.

      I pass'd by his garden, and saw the wild brier,
      The thorn and the thistle grow broader and higher;
      The clothes that hang on him are turning to rags;
      And his money still wastes till he starves or he begs.

      I made him a visit, still hoping to find
      That he took better care for improving his mind:
      He told me his dreams, talked of eating and drinking;
      But scarce reads his Bible, and never loves thinking.

      Said I then to my heart, "Here's a lesson for me,"
      This man's but a picture of what I might be:
      But thanks to my friends for their care in my breeding,
      Who taught me betimes to love working and reading.

      Isaac Watts


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

23 years and half my life

The Craziness of Faith

Radical Hospitality