Murder on the Lawn - Part 1

I'll admit it: blogging helps me process life, sometimes.  So, here I go - processing this past week.

Our neighbourhood is very safe.  We enjoy a quiet, almost country-like feel where we live - our lawn has mature pine trees and we sit a bit back from the street, but not so far back we don't see what happens out there.

Usually I am asleep at 11 p.m.  But a week ago we had a young friend over to stay the weekend.  She and I were up late chatting about general life stuff - you know how that is, I suppose.

We noticed police lights outside.  Normally I wouldn't bother checking it out.  But there were multiple emergency vehicles - three police cars, then an ambulance.  A car was stopped at our corner and three people were standing there huddled in the cold, without coats.  I grabbed shoes, as I noticed a man lying on the lawn.  I didn't want to disturb Sam, but he awoke and I merely said, "I think there's a guy passed out or dead on our front lawn.  Don't get up.  I'll be back in a few."  Of course Sam, bleary-eyed, ignored this and got up to see what was happening.  And of course I was cool-headed and just operated on a 'what-can-I-do' mentality.

I walked out to where the activity was and talked to the people gathered around.  A man was shaking and bloody and holding his hands away from himself, talking about all that had happened.  Police were there taking statements.  I offered for the man to clean up in our house.

Click here for Part 2.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Craziness of Faith

23 years and half my life

Radical Hospitality