Why I think Animals go to Heaven (don't quote me on it, okay?)

Someone recently posed the question about if animals go to heaven.  I'm not a huge animal lover - but I used to be, so there are remnants of that in me.  Here's my answer:




I think animals have souls, but not souls like we do. The Hebrew word for soul is Nephesh, found in Psalm 23 'He restores my soul.' This word is also used to refer to animals in other parts of Scripture. However, in 1 Thess 5:23 there are 3 greek words used in defining us: soul (psyche), spirit (pneuma) and body (soma) - In John 4:24 it says we worship in Spirit. Therefore, the part of us that is connecting to God, where worship occurs, where we meet with Him, is in our very spirits. Our souls are redeemed (see 2 Peter? or is it 1st - 'for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls.') I don't believe animals sin or need redemption - they have an immaterial part of them that is soul-ish, but they are not part of humankind that experience rebellion or grace. Yet they are part of God's created order, and God speaks to and through animals at times (and when the donkey spoke, he spoke as one completely comfortable/aware of God and His workings)... SO, I believe that animals have souls, just not as we do.




I wouldn't make this a hill to die on though, and am completely open to other viewpoints. My daughter asked me if doggies go to heaven when they die, and if they believe in Jesus. I told them I think they go to doggie heaven - and maybe that's the same heaven as us, because God delighted in making them etc. Regarding belief in Jesus, I said I'm sure they all know God as creator, but this is not the same as faith/saving faith as we understand it. I told her animals don't sin and don't need redemption. She's 7. There are a handful of verses in the bible that reference animals. It's not a central point, but I find joy in knowing animals haven't been ignored in the sacred text, and that as a point of Christian freedom I can believe in dogs going to heaven.


I guess since it is somewhat of a grey area, I like to err on believing the fantastical, and in reference to the nature of God - that surely He loved showering us with His good gifts of these creatures here, and so unless there is some obvious reason or reference in Scripture that says otherwise, I choose to believe the good-willed heart of God would have a special place for the furries and cuties we enjoy here to be brought there. I think the question is less about a solid doctrine of what creatures go where when they die, and more of, "what must God be like, that He makes such wondrous things, allows us the joy of being with them, and would it be like Him to bring them to a heavenly realm where we will be with Him someday?" 




If in His kingdom, the lion and the lamb lie down together; if a child will play with a serpent safely (and for the record, I detest snakes, sharks, crocodiles and scorpions); if in the record of Scripture we are told that a good man cares for his animals well, then I wonder if it isn't beyond the realm of possible that God, in His good, kind, loving nature, doesn't have room for the little creatures He delighted to make, in His heavenly kingdom? What of the donkey that carried Jesus to Jerusalem? What of the sheep that undoubtedly witnessed the heralding angels? Would these be a part of the future order of things? I can't say for sure, yes, but I'll say, likely, yes.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

23 years and half my life

The Craziness of Faith

Radical Hospitality