Repentance

 For a number of months (maybe years) I've been exploring the theme of repentance - what it is, isn't, how it's been presented and portrayed, and what I may have gotten wrong about what it means to repent. I have more thoughts than what landed in this poem - thoughts on shame, guilt, cleansing, bondage, freedom, agency, and hope. Maybe I'll come back to it and explore and elaborate more. For now, here's a smattering of reflections I gathered in my musings.


Repentance 




Do you think you may have lost your way? 

I have, so often. 

More than you know! 

More than even I know. 


I think the castle that is me 

Is hospitable for a holy indwelling. 

And surely that Presence 

Makes holy every crevice 

He may enter. 


Could it be 

I might not see,

Or know, what lurks in hidden 

Passages of my soul? 


Not only a healing balm, 

And Comfort's grace, 

And Beauty's kindness, 

And Wisdom's help, 

Do I need. 


There is more: 

A tender revealing, 

Conviction's fire, 

The gift can only be given, 

If I can receive -

To repent, open my eyes

To see how I've lost my way. 


I don't like to think on it. 

There's a fine line, 

A tightrope to tread -

That thread of grace. 

If shame threatens, I tremble 

And risk descent

To peril's clutches. 


I must keep my footing, 

Or rather, find a footing 

On level, straight paths, 

For I have not leaned on

My own understanding. 


That tightrope is truth.

I brave the opening of my eyes

And utter the sinner's prayer, 

Audacious, bold:

"I see only dimly my need for You. 

I ask to be guided from shame to grace, 

From doubt to healing, 

From wandering to my settled

Joyful home, 

In the heart of Your love." 


Such a prayer, I trust, 

He delights to answer. 

For every promise is 'Yes' 

With this One. 


He welcomes such a plea -

So, fellow pilgrim, 

Will you journey with me, 

On this path of mercy, 

To the throne of grace? 

There is help for us in our time of need. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Biggest Frugal Tip Ever

My Work

Education Dilemmas