Biggest Frugal Tip Ever

I was looking at a Frugal Mommies blog (can't recall which one) recently and looked through my blog and realized that other than posting recipes from scratch I have put very little here about my frugality obsession. Now I say 'obsession' but that means different things to different people. For instance, my sister is extremely gifted in deal hunting, gathering, selling and profit-making off of superior garage-sale finds and the like. I can't sell anything to anyone ever. I tried a garage sale once and it was a total flop, other than that it kept the kids busy all day. But it was torturous for me. However, I do have many things I do to be frugal, and perhaps I will write more on the matter at some point. I just want to get out my BIGGEST Frugal Tip EVER, because it is really not what you are expecting.

I know - you are looking for how to save money, how to DIY, how to economize, scrounge, scrimp and the like (hey, this week I made a dish scrubby out of the plastic netting bag that packages the oranges!) But that's no big deal. The BIGGEST Frugal Tip EVER is summed up in ONE word. Scroll down please...































CONTENTMENT.




We scrimp and scrounge and save in an effort to produce more with less. To enlarge our home economies. To produce abundance with mere efforts - whether it be canning, breadmaking or gardening. But, just think how far CONTENTMENT will go in saving you money!

See that item on the thrift store shelf that could be handy for your next canning project? Save your money and forego the item and choose to be content with such things as you have! Ka-ching! Money in the bank.

See that wool sweater on the garage sale table that you have dreams about re-working into woolen/water-proof pants for your cloth-diapering efforts? Be reminded that diapering days will end someday and you've made it just fine this far and you don't really need to spend that 75 cents on it and Ka-ching! Money in the bank. All because you chose contentment!

And as far as frequenting those thrift stores/garage sales... maybe if you grow in contentment, the lure will be less and you will frequent less and spend less because your heart is satisfied in the One Who Satisfies.

So, wanna be frugal?

Be CONTENT. You'll be amazed at the results.

"For I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation." - The Apostle Paul

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! Great to hear from you! Still learning contentment!...

      Delete
  2. Ain't that the truth! My oldest daughter is good at contentment and reminds me of all the "stuff" we don't need. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Yes, I once read we should not get things for their potential but for something we actually have a current (not future!) use for! This has kept me from getting junk - but not always! :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, so young yet so wise! Thank you for sharing this most neglected word in our society! I have been working on that for some time now, but still it's easy to get "anxious for nothing"! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading/visiting my blog! Never wise enough, right? I'm 35, for the record :) I forgot about that verse - I like to think of it as 'anxious over nothing'! Puts it in perspective.

      Delete
  5. So true but never a tip I've come across.. Something new ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I always wonder who in Australia is reading this :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I'm about to start homeschooling my 9 y/o so your blog will be a great help! I'm about to try some of your lemon balm tea.

      Delete
  6. Thanks Laura - still working on growing in contentment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so right on!!! Wonderfully written and I feel the joy in it :) Thank you for sharing this great truth at 'EOA' Wednesday. "But godliness with contentment is great gain." 1 Timothy 6:6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog! Yes, I had fun writing this - mostly thoughts to myself as I contemplated my own lack of contentment and willingness to go to great lengths to 'save money' when all I was really doing was giving time to fruitless endeavours. Contentment wins the day!

      Delete
  8. Such an excellent post! Terrific advice we ALL need to hear from time to time. My best frugal advice is to stay home! It's amazing how much less is spent when I stay home...

    Visiting from Jacqueline's EOA link up. :)

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your tip - on staying home. When our feet wander our purses go with us... and come back more empty and our homes more full of (often) stuff we don't need!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful! I found you from Deep Roots at Home's feature and love this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such truth in that statement! I'm sure I've spent more money than I need to simply because I was struggling with contentment at the time. Thank you for this wonderful reminder :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Jen. I continue to learn so much in this area. I wish there were more around me who wanted to grow in it too! :)

      Delete
  11. Amen! And contentment is so much easier in the end, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure is! It is a work for the soul more than a work of the pocketbook!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

23 years and half my life

The Craziness of Faith

Radical Hospitality