How I Met Sam - After the Fire

I know it's taking me a long time to get this written... but I'll remind you that this was less than a week after getting engaged, which was five weeks after witnessing and dealing with the burglary, which was only three weeks after getting clobbered on the head with a break by nasty neighbours.  I was beginning to feel as if this was going to be the new normal - highs, lows, crazy, chaotic events - what was around the corner next?  I began to have a sense of dread, wonder, adventure, amazement, angst - all wrapped into one.

Coming into our house with it burned out seemed to sum up how I felt inside - burned out.  I had the hope of marrying Sam to look forward to in the future.  But at the moment I looked around at the devastation that a fire brings - smells, charred things, water an inch deep - and realized yet again how fleeting are the things we hold as dear.  My greatest sadness was looking at the piano, where I had taken lessons and practiced and played ever since I was 5 years old.  I was sure it would be completely ruined.

I stepped over the CAUTION tape, trudged through the puddles and pulled out the bench.  Other than smoky, it seemed alright.  I opened the lid covering the keys.  I grabbed a nearby hymnal.  Opened it to 'Great is Thy Faithfulness' and let the world fall apart around me, I was going to play that hymn to the best of my ability.

And I did.  I sat and played, and the piano was undamaged.  A little cleaning and it would be okay.

"Great is Thy faithfulness, Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see!
All I have needed, Thy hand hath provided -
Great is Thy faithfulness - Lord, unto me."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Craziness of Faith

23 years and half my life

Radical Hospitality