How I Met Sam Part 22

(For those who get lost in these posts here is the link to PART 1: How I Met Sam - Part 1)




The story isn't over yet. There's still the bit about the fire yet to come.

Did you read Psalm 56? Here are a few quotes:
"Men hotly pursue me..." (of course when I heard those words I thought "How ironic! - if I'd read this yesterday I would've been saying, 'I wish!'")


"All day long they press their attack...many are attacking me.

When I am afraid, I put my trust in You...In God I trust and am not afraid, what can mere mortals do to me?...They conspire, they lurk, they watch my steps, hoping to take my life...
You have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling"

The feet from stumbling part was what got me - how appropriate! I had been afraid to jump off the balcony since I had only been off crutches for a week and my ankle was still weak. Literally, God HAD kept my feet from stumbling.

The last two lines of the Psalm have meant a lot to me throughout the years since the burglary.
"...You have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before God in the light of life."
The reason this meant so much to me?
Because before the burglary I had waned in my passion for God. I had settled into a comfortable life that included God but was mostly about pursuing my interests and desires. I did want to serve Him, but on my terms. I wanted to serve Him in ways I was comfortable with. But when the burglary happened and He delivered me from potential death - it was for a reason. Was it so I could continue to pursue my course in life? Was it so that I could do great things for God? Was it so that I would have a great story to tell? Was it so that I could impress people with how well I handled a stressful situation? Was it so that I could get glory? It was for NONE of these things! It was as the Psalm says, so that 'I may walk before God in the light of life.' He rescued me that night so that I may continue this earthly life to walk before Him and maybe that would include serving Him, maybe that would include a good story to tell, maybe others would be impressed with me (ignorantly perhaps :) ) but most of all it was so that I may live and walk before Him. And Him alone.

Link to Part 23

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Craziness of Faith

23 years and half my life

Radical Hospitality