How I Met Sam Part 4

It was at the peak of summer, late August, 1999 when I arrived in Hong Kong. My luggage had been lost, and I had only the clothes I was wearing and my crutches. When I arrived we went first to the Emergency Room where I was able to have my ankle examined and x-rayed. This was my first Emergency Room visit at the nearby hospital during my stay. I would make two more in the coming month, though I didn’t know it at the time.
The day after I arrived I attended our small church which my parents had helped to start a number of years before. It met in a school, on the fourth floor. Climbing up so many stairs on crutches was exhausting, and the sweltering heat didn’t help either! When I stopped to catch my breath at the top of the stairs, my eye caught sight of a few guys up ahead standing near the outside of the meeting room. One was Bas, a Dutch missionary from Canada (try to figure that out!). I had known him since he had been in Hong Kong since I was a child. He often had groups from Canada coming to visit and help with his ventures into China. So I was not surprised to see him with a young man who looked American. I happened to think the young man was quite handsome, but told myself, ‘I’m in Hong Kong to study. Don’t get distracted.’ With that bit of self-advice I proceeded to enter the room and get settled for the morning when we would be Breaking Bread and later a sermon. Since there were only about 8 of us, it was hard to avoid talking to everyone. Somehow I managed since I was the lone pianist available, and excused myself from introductions. I briefly met Sam Logan, the friend of Bas and before any further conversation withdrew to the piano. Perhaps I was a bit cold and abrupt. Okay, more than a bit.

Follow this link to Part 5:

Comments

  1. Only 8 people....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, more people showed up later - the following preaching service had about 30 attending

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Craziness of Faith

Radical Hospitality

23 years and half my life